12 perks and knee jerks of 2014 in the life of an SLP (me)
Another year has once again moved past me. It continues to move with lightning speed on some days and at a slow motion pace on others. I guess you might call this an end of the year reminiscing blog but maybe I’ll add a few twists.
The twelve whoas and fist pumps of this past year. (in no particular order as my brain functions on random organized chaos)
12. My caseload is somewhat manageable at 49 with ebbs and flow.
11. My finds at thrift stores and on TPT have created bulging cabinets once again. Yes I will keep looking for a Cariboo game for you too.
10. I’m honored to have my blog listed as one of the Top 75 Speech Pathology Websites for 2015. Oh the pressure! Be sure to check out the list and some fun sites.
9. This has been a year of procrastination (sometimes this works in my favor..wink wink). I’m not one for making a New Year’s resolution but if I was this should be one but I’ll wait and just think about it.
8. Missing ASHA this year was a definite whoa or better yet woe is me. I missed reconnecting with SLPs and getting my brain regenerated. Fingers crossed for next year in Denver.
7. I have a great team of teachers and special education staff that I work with at my school plus a speech room with a window.
6. Summer was a way to unwind, relax and still work at the speech clinic to keep my skills growing.
5. Having my first /r/ in therapy to work on improving since moving to this school 4 years ago. I know it’s like how could you avoid it! Well my school was K-3rd so in MN if you have only one sound error like /r/ you won’t qualify until you are 9. But now my school is K-4 and will be K-5 so guess what… 9 year olds with /r/ errors. Oh lucky me!
4. Mindfulness has been a skill our whole school has been learning and working on. (I’ve got a ways to go yet.) It’s a great asset when a whole school has common vocabulary. Check out SpeechTechie and his posts about Calming.
2. A blog started in 2009 that was born from a defunct Backflip bookmark site with a list of resources to my ramblings and twisted ideas for therapy (is that a perk or a jerk??).
1. Thinking back to my start in 1977 (with only my BS degree) with no internet it’s amazing how easy it to locate great resources from the explosion of slp bloggers, TPT sellers, website resources and apps.
So how was your year? What twists do you have to share?
PS- Of course family is a perk (most of the time) but this post was about the year in an SLPs life
PSS- Just a few videos for a fun way to close out the year.
Diesel speed (these two pups are mine- kinda how I felt on some of my hectic days at work)