One of my last posts was about our Beach Theme and this is my part 2 of our three units to end the school year. It’s all about bugs.
I wrote about bugs as part of a nature unit in an earlier post that you can read HERE.
1. Bug vocabulary – I created worksheets using boardmaker.
2. We made an art project with the bug worksheets. This was a way to target, following directions, sequencing, problem solving, prepositional concepts, etc. You will need:
Construction paper for the background (I used blue) and green for grass (draw a line to cut up to)
- Trees- some students drew their own, some colored tongue depressors or a strip of construction paper and glued them on
- Log- same as the trees- I did break the tongue depressors in half
- Flowers- some students drew their own and others used the flowers from our bug sheet.
- Glue the bugs on the tree, under the log, under the grass, on the grass, in the sky, etc.
- We glued the extras on the back along with the instructions. from the sheets.
- You can use the bug sheets I created: bug 1 and bug 2
3. We used bug capsules to”grow” a bug. I have found these at Target, Dollar stores,etc.
4. We wore bug masks (from Target dollar spot) while exploring our bug area.
5. We even ate bugs!!! ( I bought these on clearance after Halloween but there are often gummy bugs in the candy aisles.)
6. We read a lot of buggy books and played with some buggy apps.
Here are a few we tried:
So now add your own buggy twists!
This time of the year is always busy with evaluations, IEPS, progress reports and with the end of the school year deadline to complete it all. So what a better time to bring in things that can “bug” us. I have had a nature unit that was “bugging” to get into my room. So we have been reading, talking and playing with all things nature-like including bugs, camping, creepy crawlers and more. We have been playing games, reading, and learning new concepts related to nature, bugs and camping.
Here are a couple of ideas:
1. Jigsaw puzzles- I picked put the Bug Picnic puzzle at Goodwill for .99 cents. I used it with several groups. The first group were kindergarteners so we worked on “flat, smooth and corner.” They tried to find the pieces that fit these concepts and even found some that “fit together.” The next groups worked on “matching” colors and team work to find pieces. I figured there was probably some missing pieces and that became a “problem solving” activity for the last group when they finished the puzzle.
2. I love the Magna Puzzles– the one we used had bugs. I bought it at my Autism Shop quite a long time ago. I believe you can find these puzzles on Amazon. They are complicated so I made a photocopy of the finished puzzle as a guide. The groups work together and I sit back and interject as little as possible. This was the first time I used this with younger kids (1st & 2nd grades) and they really did amazing! I also used the Busy Beetles never-ending puzzle as another collaboration activity.
3. The game the kids literally screamed when playing and begged to play each time was Picnic Panic. This game is from 1992 and I bought it on e-bay a few years ago. I always hate to show you items that might not be available anymore but this one is just so much fun! Here is an old video from the 90’s.
4. The bug masks were picked up in the dollar section at Target. We wore them on bug hunts in my tiny speech room (I taped bug pictures and plastic bugs around the room). Sometimes we wore them just because!
5. Other games we played: Ants in the Pants, Can ‘o Worms (like monkeys in a barrel), and the Ladybug Game (another thrift store find).
6. We even had bug races down my cabinets. I found mine in the dollar section at Target. We raced to articulation and vocabulary cards at the bottom of the cabinet.
7. Camping out- we threw a sheet over the speech table and used our mini flashlights to do some of our therapy sessions. We even moved the campfire and marshmallows into our tent (see picture of my cabinet). To make this I used a wooden bowl I got at a garage sale and cut red & orange construction paper into flames. I wanted to use tissue paper but there was not the right colors left in our art supplies. I used long wooden sticks and glued cotton balls on the ends. When we were “roasting” our marshmellows I put one of the mini lights into the “fire.” (I found these at Michael’s)
8. A few years ago myself and another SLP received a grant to create story bags. One that we made fit perfectly with this theme- PJ Funnybunny Camps Out. We created the activities to be used with students and their families to use at home but now I use them mostly within my therapy sessions. I am sharing this one with all of you!
Pages 1-6 were laminated and placed into a binder: pg_1_Parent_letter PJ camping, pg_2_Inventory_List_for PJ camping, pg_3_Suggestions_for PJ camping, pg_4_activities_PJ camping, pg_5_vocabulary_PJ camping, pg_6_artic_ideas_for_home PJ camping
The labels were taped onto plastic bags that hold the cards. labels for PJ Camps Out, Backpack page to color/outline, cut a slit to slide cards into and laminate: Backpack with slit, Cards to use for sequencing story:PJ Camping sequencing cards
Vocabulary picture cards and definitions- cut apart and laminate for matching games: vocab matching 1 definitions; vocab matching 1 pictures – We used two sets of the picture cards for a matching activitiy and one set of the picture cards and definintion cards for another activity.
We tried out some apps and found a few that we liked the best:
Just fun!! Butterflying